A laborer at a fur processing plant in Maine has died after contracting a viral coronavirus and contracting the virus at work.WLWT-TV reports the death of 24-year-old James R. Anderson at the Bangor, Maine, facility, which is owned by the National Fur Products Association.
The company confirmed he contracted the virus while working in a fur room.
“We are shocked and saddened to report that James Anderson died today in Bangor after contracting an acute viral respiratory syndrome and subsequent severe coronaviruses,” the company said in a statement.
“As soon as we learned of his death, we immediately began an immediate, thorough and thorough investigation into the incident.
We are in close contact with his family and are working with the Maine Medical Examiner’s Office to conduct a full investigation.”
The state of Maine has also issued a mandatory quarantine for the facility.
“James was an incredibly kind and caring person, who will be greatly missed by his family, coworkers and customers,” the Bangors’ owner, David R. Shoup, said in the statement.
The state’s Department of Health and Human Services also said it is in contact with Anderson’s family and is providing financial assistance.